Tuesday, October 8, 2013

1967 Mets Team Leaders / 1968 Fantazy Cards

WHATS THIS!? A batting average over .300?
*grabs chest*
Tommy Davis, an ex- N.L. batting leader twice over (1962,'63), joins Richie Ashburn (.306 in 1962) & Ron Hunt (.303 in 1964) as the only .300+ batters in the teams history up to now.

Tommy had a good season in his one year as a New York Metropolitan. He led the team in games (154), at bats (577), hits (174), runs scored (72) HR and batting average. Davis's slugging % (.440), OBP (.342), and OPS (.782) all led the team. He smashed 32 doubles and drove in 73 runs. His totals in at bats, hits and double all established new Mets team records.

Ed Kranepool is in the middle of all these team leader cards in the mid 60's and I'm lovin' it. I knew Ed was a lifelong fan favorite Met but I thought that was just through longevity, at which he excelled. But he put up some numbers, albeit numbers only a Met fan could love.


Jerry Buchek! You go Jerry.
Rocky Ron trying to act like he isn't hanging out at the Sadecki Spot.


Tom Seaver was great and would have been considered great on any team he debuted on (it almost wasn't the Mets). But can you imagine how he must have looked to a Met fan in 1967? After years of pitching ineptitude suddenly we had a real top knotch pitcher who was just starting his career. It must have been so exciting, like in 1984 when we saw Dwight Gooden and thought WOW, we got a stallion of a pitcher here.

Tom once told fellow pitcher Chuck Estrada: " Chuck, I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be this good. I knew I could play, but I never thought I was going to get to this level."

And Mets fans were in for a treat as they had the priveledge of witnessing as Seaver rose through the ranks to become one of the best pitchers in baseball history.

No comments:

Post a Comment