Friday, September 25, 2015

mfc Magic Number Countdown!!! •3• Bud Harrelson


Okay, I'm getting a bit excited.
And I've stopped worrying. 
New York won tonight and Washington lost.
The Mets magic number is now 3!


I'm very superstitious when it comes to baseball. Not in regards to anything else in life, but pretty much insanely so when it comes to the New York Mets. I wasn't going to do a countdown thing here but my excitement has gotten the best of me. We're 7½ up with 10 games to play. I think I can relax.










I know there are many more Metropolitan #3's but Bud Harrelson is one of my all time favorite Mets and I happen to have made a slew of cards featuring him. Buddy was the first Mets player I ever had a conversation with back in 1970 or '71, out back behind Shea when the team was boarding a bus. 














And as of this writing Harrelson is also the last Mets player I have ever conversed with. About a dozen or so years ago I saw him after a game when he was managing the Long Island Ducks. His team was in Atlantic City to play the A.C. Surf . 


Mr. Harrelson has always made himself very accessible to fans and he is a very special Metropolitan. So I'll use any excuse to celebrate the career of Derrel McKinley "Bud" Harrelson. There could have been more. I only showed the Bud cards that displayed his #3.

____________________________________

Okay, I have one Granderson up my sleeve.

What's the opposite of a rare relic card? There are 60 million of these!

______________________________________________

For details of last night's Mets win against the Reds
______________________________________________


Another reason to be excited, from a hobby standpoint, is that I get to design  borders for post season cards. Mets postseason cards! And because of my superstitious nature when it comes to the Mets I felt I should not even think about anything to do with the postseason cards until after New York clinches. I haven't started yet, still feel a little hesitant about it, but I'm hoping to very, very soon. 
Gimme another win New York!


Back in 2006 I made postseason cards during the games and posted them on a Mets fan message board/in game thread as the game progressed. That was an enormous amount of fun and I plan on doing that this year (if possible and able) using facebook. Worst case scenario is I'll post them here after the game is over.
More details about that after we clinch.

Here are some of the cards from back then. I won't post them all as there were 88 of them. But here's a taste. Funny how I decided to go with multiple borders. 

















Back then I thought we had a few more trips to the post in us with that team. 

It's been nine long years.
Get pumped!

Get VERY pumped!


No comments:

Post a Comment