Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Impossible Dream Comes True: Mets Get Cespedes!

Thank you Mets. 
Thank you Mr. Alderson. 
Thank you Mr. Wilpon, Mr. Katz, and Jeffy. 
Oh, okay,.. the "other" Mr. Wilpon. 
I should show some respect.
*adjusts tie

I'll start again.

Thank you Mets. 
Thank you Mr. Alderson. 
Thank you Mr. Wilpon, Mr. Katz, and Mr. Wilpon. 
Thank you for investing in your product.

You've made this killer weekend blizzard just a backdrop, a footnote, just something to worry about tomorrow. Or the next day. Or the day after that. Whenever this crystallized deluge comes to a halt. The weatherman is like Sandy Alderson. He says a lot of fancy stuff without really saying anything and then whatever happens, happens.


Most of all, thank you Yoenis Cespedes, for showing me you are more than just a cardboard cut out money maker. You're a class act, a proud man who is more interested in playing with this Mets squad and taking care of unfinished business than with the money. You have my respect.

The deal is a good one for everybody. Three years/75 million, including an opt out after one year. The Washington Nationals offered him five years/90 million and he said thanks but no thanks, I'd rather be a Met.


I posted this meme below a few days ago on twitter and I meant it. But I really thought that Cespedes would go after the money (and the years) that New York was not willing to give him. 


Noah Syndergaard said it first and it's a sentiment that we should all get behind. 

We have unfinished business. 

That should be the Mets slogan for 2016.
We can use "Let's Do It Again", the previous choice, in 2017.
________________________________________

I had completed the mfc card above when I ran into this photo of Cespedes used below (photo by Rob Tringali). I had to make a card from it. It wasn't Yoenis that caught my eye. It was that superkool blue and orange glove! I want one of those!


And I thought it was all about the money.
I mean, he had to return. 
He couldn't use that kool glove anywhere else.


Look, the Mets are already making money on the deal^

Disclaimer^photoshopped

_________________________________________

Elias Sports Bureau Report

Cespedes’ 17 home runs are tied for the third-most by a Met from Aug. 1 to the end of the season. Gary Carter (1985) and Mike Piazza (1999) each hit 19.

Cespedes is the fifth player that the Mets have signed to a contract of more than $50 million. Four of them have been outfielders.

Carlos Beltran ($119 million), Jason Bay ($66 million) and Curtis Granderson ($60 million) were the three most expensive free-agent signings in Mets history. Cespedes' contract ranks second among free-agent deals given by the Mets, trailing only the one by Beltran. The $25 million average annual value matches that of Giancarlo Stanton and Josh Hamilton for the highest ever for an outfielder.

_________________________________________

There were a number of notable passings lately and I'd like to touch on two of them here.


Monte Irvin does not get enough love. When I saw this photo of him stealing home in the 1951 World Series I knew I had to colorize it. 


Everyone has seen the photo of Jackie Robinson stealing home in the 1955 Fall Classic. If we held a seance and summoned the ghost of Yogi I bet one of the first things he'd say was that Jackie was out.

But I can say I had never seen this fantastic photo of Irvin, caught mid slide as Yogi rushes out to meet him. Monte was safe and I never heard Yogi say otherwise. What a wonderful photograph. 

Mr. Irvin passed away last week at the age of 96. He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1973. At the time of his death, Irvin was the oldest living former Negro Leagues player, New York Giant and Chicago Cub.


In tribute to Mr. Irvin mfc adds color (and a little depth) to this beautiful pic.
I haven't been able to learn the name of the photographer.
I found the photo here:
washingtonpost.com/sports/monte-irvin

____________________________

And the great David Bowie left us too soon.What he gave to the arts cannot be put into words. The guy was art.


Nasa recently said that they found the "real" ninth planet. If that is indeed the case then this new planet should be named after Bowie. Cause he was out there.

And artist named Helen Green did a series of excellent drawings of Bowie at various stages of his career and made them into an animated .gif.

This is amazing work.


I opened it up in animation shop and slowed it down so you could appreciate each drawing.



Of course, while I had it in there I had to start messing with it.
I added this trippy background. I hope Ms. Green doesn't mind my alternate version.


You can see all the different Bowie's, yet he was one of a kind.

_________________________________


Outside in Fantazyland.

This was supposed to be posted last night but the storm knocked out my electricity. We're getting pounded down here in S.J.
At least a foot and a half already and drifts up to three, easy.
Be safe everybody. 

What it really looks like outside.
______________________________________



4 comments:

  1. Great post. Good luck with Cespedes and hope you all make it through the snow ok over there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've bet serious money... well, serious for *me* anyway... that Cespedes was going to be elsewhere next year. Chalk this one up as a pleasant surprise.

    ...But now, do us cynical Mets fans have to hope that he *does* opt out after a year? Because I'm thinking the only way for him to fulfill this contract is for him to have a disappointing 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some seem to think it's a given that he's gone after the one year. If the team does well I don't buy that. In any case, one or three years, I love that the Mets pulled the trigger on this. This is a great deal. Even if Cespedes has an awful season the Mets front office gets major points from me for seriously trying to invest in the team and do what I asked: surround these arms with offense, NOW.

      Delete