Monday, June 6, 2016

mfc SPECIAL: HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY! The mfc Bud Harrelson Collection 1965-1975


 Happy Birthday Buddy Harrelson!!
Derrel McKinley Harrelson celebrated his 72nd birthday today. May he continue to live long and prosper.









I can honestly say that Bud had a lot to do with me anchoring my fandom to the Metropolitans. In 1971 Harrelson became the first Mets player ever to talk directly to me. I've told the story before of how Buddy gave out pre-autographed postcards while boarding the team bus out in back of Shea. He was giving the cards out while he walked in a line with Mets players. Just as he mounted the first step onto the bus he turned to me, gave me the remainder of the postcards and instructed me to give them out to the crowd, which I did. This was one of those things that cements you to a team. I was 12 years old and Buddy spoke to me! That made my whole summer! It was a small thing, but this was one of the major contribution factors that have made me a lifelong Mets fan.
























No 1976 mfc Harrelson card yet. I did prepare this 1977 card in 2014 for the Mets 1977 mfc pages (which have yet to be constructed), and this is the Buddy Harrelson mfc collection as it now stands.


There will be more Buddy Harrelson mfc cards in the future. I might even make a rare exception and create a Bud Harrelson Phillies card. That's how much I like Bud Harrelson! I'd dirty my hands making a Phils card.














3 comments:

  1. That's a great story about him boarding the bus. That's all it takes to have a favorite player. I love the mfc cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warren ZvonJune 19, 2016 at 10:14 PM

      Thanks 3-D man :).
      I've been meaning to make a post but I haven't as of yet.
      My PC croaked a week or so ago so the blog hasn't been updated for a bit and it will be a few more weeks before I can get back into my graphic files on a new PC and continue making mfc cards. I may even have lost some stuff that wasn't backed up yet.

      Thrilled you love the cards.I dig your 3-D blog. Haven't been getting around much online the last few tho. I haven't been doing my usual blog rounds. I'll be back to 100% before anyone even notices, I hope.

      Happy Fathers Day!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete